Friday, March 9, 2012

Fun… Games… Technology… and Languages!!

In an increasingly dynamic, rapidly changing and interconnected world we dwell in, learning a foreign/second language is critical for survival. Even world-class companies like Twitter are launching in Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew and Urdu!! Language learning practices are being modified by technology and more with social media (Groundswell). The web today offers plenty of opportunities to learn languages. It is a matter of focusing on what you are looking for. As Li & Bernoff say, of course all the interactions are supported by technology but none could’ve happened if it wasn’t for us (i.e. the people participating in them).

Photo Credit: www.img.xiami.com
I would like to share my story with you. I learned German as a language way back in 2001. I did stay in touch with the language for few years, by watching movies, listening to music, radio, all in German.  I was fortunate to work for one of the largest German Manufacturing Company that helped trigger my memory and keep German top of mind. 

However, after moving jobs, I really lost touch with the language. My husband was sailing in a similar boat (he had learned German few years ago).  We wanted to be in touch with the language. We did attempt interacting in German language every now and then, but with limited vocabulary from our memory, it was tough to sustain. So we devised a way to rekindle our connection with the language. We switched the GPS instructions in our car to German language to navigate our way through any destination. At first, it was funny but later, we started translating and repeating the set of directions. We discovered a fun and interesting way to be in touch with our second language. 

As you are meeting new people online, having conversations, posting, building exposure and handling new opportunities daily via social media (Groundswell), it is essential to know a language or two other than English. Today, there are several new ways to learn a new language. I am listing three popular and interesting social networks for you to use if you’re trying to learn a new language. 

 

MindSnacks.com offers six exciting and interactive games to build up one’s vocabulary in 13 different languages. The founders are definitely approaching language learning in a rather unconventional way,  by using addictive games to engage their customers. They believe that education is unnecessarily associated with blandness and they want to change it with their products. Not only are they educating their customers but also, asking them to help them to vote for their favorite languages to be added to the existing set.

Photo Credit: www.mindsnacks.com
In an interview with Mashable, MindSnacks.com founder Jesse Pickard said, “The idea behind MindSnacks is to make learning as much fun as possible. Over 26 million words have been mastered because the games are fun and addictive and users want to go back to beat challenges, unlock new games and watch their scores improve.”

italki.com, pronounced as i-talk-i, is free language learning website where you can find everything you need to learn a language online. It boasts of having a global community of language learners and teachers with 100+ languages in 200+ countries. Using Web 2.0 concepts such as social networking, user-generated content, and crowd-sourcing, italki.com facilitates language learning. This website focuses on learning foreign languages and uses features like multimedia chat, socially-driven questions and answers, open-source file sharing, and collaborative knowledge-based wikis.

Photo Credit: www.italki.com

Photo Credit: www.livemocha.com
LiveMocha.com is a social network at its core, located in the Seattle suburb of Bellevue, Washington, it is the largest online-based language learning service. With 9 million members in nearly 200 countries, Live Mocha.com was named as one of Time magazine’s top 50 websites of 2010. All participants maintain and actively manage a personal profile on the site (profile photo, friends list). Right when you sign up, a simple questionnaire helps you build your profile. In your profile, you can indicate the languages you wish to learn and the languages you already know. Live chat is available with anyone that is online and you can use it to practice the language of your choice.

Earning points gives a huge incentive for learning as well. You can earn Mocha points by being engaged in the site, completing coursework and helping other members with submission reviews, flashcards, and translations. If you earn enough points, you can also earn free course as well. 

I have enjoyed myself learning new languages. Have you ever tried learning foreign languages? What apps or websites or social networks have you used to learn languages?

5 comments:

  1. I was really interested in your posting, because I brushed up Korean from last month. I learned Korean because the city Qingdao where I lived in China, so many Korean moved in. And I have so many classmates in my high school. However, after I moved to the States for my college studies, I didn't have change to use Korean so I almost forgot how to speak in Korean. Recently, I met some nice Korean friends which made me want to start learning again. I did download some Apps from iTunes and found one works great on me! Also, thanks for your information; I might try one of those there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Fiona.. I am glad that you are trying to be in touch with Korean :) I am sure that you will find MindSnacks very interesting.. you can learn the language and play games too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! Thank you so much, Gitanjali, for sharing your information about these sites. I'm always looking to improve my French and would also like to learn German, but have a full and busy life, so beyond buying a calendar with one French phrase a day on its pages, I have not made much progress in recent years. These sites should be a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome Dianne :) I wrote about this, as I felt many in our class would be interested in knowing about the topic :)

    ReplyDelete